Saturday, May 23, 2015

National Observatory of Athens

           Well, of course I could give you now a whole lecture on the Astrophysics but I prefer for you to hear it from the pros in the National Observatory of Athens. An amazing tour of the facilities ( these facilities have of course their own names but yet again I will let you hear them yourselves once you visit ) gave me a new feel of what kind of an input Greeks had and still have on what is happening there where we can no longer see with the naked eye.



       

              I must say, that being non Greek speaker left me with a whole to do - google search list simply because even the names of the Planets left me little bit confused, let alone the rest of the magic. Of course I was nodding away not to let the secret get out;) However I must say, that even though it's been already 5+ years ( .... ) that I have graduated High School, I still could connect the dots. On top of it I was in the Math-Physics department which makes me a perfect candidate to give you some solid information.





"The National Observatory of Athens (NOA) was established in 1842 by the Vienna-based national benefactor George Sinas. It carries out state-of-the-art basic and applied research in collaboration with other world-leading research centers.  The activities of NOA are organized in 3 institutes staffed with high quality scientific, research and technical personnel:  the Institute of Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing, the Institute of Environmental Research and Sustainable Development, and  the Geodynamics Institute."( noa.gr)












The part that we had a chance to visit yesterday was in Thissio, on the Hill of the Nymphs. There is a museum, library with the most amazing, extremely old books, and of course the main attraction - the Doridis Teloscope












Despite of the rather cloudy evening we had a chance to move this baby around and see different stars, planets and of course the Moon which was breathtaking.









To all of you in Athens, to visit observatory is a must, and since it is so easy to find, just on a main path in Thissio, you have no excuse not to do it. Furthermore in the back, where the telescope is located, you will find an amazing spots too see Acropolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment